Sunday, May 23, 2010

realization

1st blog.
my boss says that i should write things down when i think of things. I figured that when i write things down maybe i should share them with others. I've always got a lot going on in my mind and it feels good to get things out.

i am a semi professional route setter and an avid rock climber. i am the manager/head route setter/ head coach at Triangle Rock Club in Morrisville, NC. Currently i am traveling a lot for route setting. I'm involved with setting for the USAC (USA climbing). The USAC is the governing body for competition rock climbing in the US. In the past 5 months i have set
  • The 10th anniversary celebration competition at the Gainesville, FL
  • The Adult Sport Climbing National Championship in Salt Lake City, UT
  • The Youth Bouldering National Championship in Alexandria, VA
  • The Mid Atlantic Regional Championship in Charlotte, NC
On Thursday of this week i will be traveling to Vail, CO to set for the Citizens Competition associated with the american leg of the World cup of bouldering. Its all apart of the Teva Mountain Games. I will be there from May 27th-June 8th. On June 8th i come home get in my car and head to Richmond, VA to help my friend Brent Q set for his Divisional Championship thats going to be held on June 12th-13th. When thats all said and done i will travel home to the TRC to set for the WRANGLE IN THE TRIANGLE on June 19th. When the Wrangle is done Iget 2 weeks of just being here at home and working at the gym(thank god). on July 3rd I will head to Atlanta, GA to set the SCS Youth National Championship. That will be held from July 9th-11th. This competition is going to be crazy. Its being held at the nations Largest gym, Stone Summit.

The past few weeks I have been climbing outside a lot more than usual. I have been training a lot in the gym for sport climbing and its paying off for me. Recently I have sent all my projects and that feels good. On the flip side of that I have realized a few things about myself recently. I learned that I have totally lost sight of why I started rock climbing to begin with. I have consumed myself with grades and when I send I cant help but to run and tell someone. I am now the person I have never wanted to be and the person that I have always despised. I'm glad that someone pointed this out to me cause it really made me think. Its got me re-prioritizing climbing. I realize that people climb for different reasons. I always wanted it to be just fun. Just going out and enjoying myself with my friends and meeting new people at the crag. Now it seems I'm always going out to climbing areas with a mission. My mind on that one 5.13 that would make me look good. I'm going to do my best to just have a good time and climb everything.

I would also like to thank my sponsors.

check back this week for a post from Vail!

Shane

1 comment: